In practical applications, in maximum cases , we have a large data which can’t be managed by just having a look on the data and manually selecting it.
The other way is to use the control + f for searching and then typing but it is again a cumbersome task to call this again and type the search word.
To overcome such situations we have an option called FILTER. Previously filter was not present as a function but now MICROSOFT EXCEL has introduced it as a function which gives us more control over the filtering of the data.
FILTER FUNCTION gives us the option of filtering out the data which doesn’t fulfill our condition.
In this article we’ll learn about the FILTER FUNCTION and various uses of FILTER FUNCTION .
PURPOSE OF FILTER FUNCTION IN EXCEL
FILTER FUNCTION allows us to filter the data on the basis of a given criteria.
We make use of the filter function if we need to take out a set of data on the basis of a condition.
It returns the complete row of the selected data.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN FILTER FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- FILTER FUNCTION, if we know how to use.
- Some information about the financial terms is an advantage for the use of such formulas.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: FILTER FUNCTION
THE SYNTAX OF THE FILTER FUNCTION IS GIVEN AS BELOW:
FILTER ( the range to be filtered, criteria, what if nothing is found)
the range to be filtered is the complete data from which we need to filter.
criteria is the condition on which the filtration will take place.
what if nothing is found is the value which will appear if no value satisfies the condition
EXAMPLE :FILTER FUNCTION IN EXCEL
|COUNTRY||ALTITUDE||MAXIMUM TEMP||MINIMUM TEMP|
We’ll find out the following answers using FILTER FUNCTION
- FILTER OUT THE COUNTRIES HAVING ALTITUDE GREATER THAN 300
- FIND THE COUNTRIES WITH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE IS 30
- FIND THE COUNTRIES WITH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE LESS THAN 1 DEGREES
STEPS TO USE FILTER FUNCTION
CREATION AND OUTPUT OF THE EXAMPLE
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.