RAND FUNCTION helps us to generate a random number.
Random number is used for creating some application where we need to create a random number.
Returns an evenly distributed random real number greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1.
A new number will be calculated every time the formula is refreshed or workbook is loaded.
PURPOSE OF RAND FUNCTION IN EXCEL
RAND FUNCTION returns the random real number between 0(including 0) and less than 1.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN RAND
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- Some information about the financial terms is an advantage for the use of such formulas.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: RAND() FUNCTION IN EXCEL
The Syntax for the function is
There are no arguments passed into RAND FUNCTION as it only gives the output as a random number.
EXAMPLE: RAND FUNCTION IN EXCEL
STEPS TO USE RAND FUNCTION
The cell E8 is used to create random numbers.
The function used is
The function has been multiplied by 100 because RAND() will create a number with decimals.
So to round it off, we are using ROUND FUNCTION with number after decimal as 0.
Now whatever number is generated, it’ll be multiplied by 100 and it’ll be round off and we’ll get a random number between 0 and 1.
NUMBER OF DAYS CALCULATION
RAND() doesn’t create a whole number but a decimal number between 0 and 1.
If we need to create a random number between any two numbers, we need to round it off and multiply with the different of those numbers.
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.