HOW TO OPEN VBA IN EXCEL?
VBA sits at the backend of Excel. But its always there.
VBA sits in the background and in the front we have MACRO in Excel. It would be advisable that you just spend five minutes here to learn about the MACRO.
In this article we’ll go through MACRO, how to open VBA, what can we do in VBA and how would we start the program.
MACRO is a system of recording the steps which you have performed. Many times we perform large operations on a value to achieve the result. If we have to do repetitive operations , we can create a MACROS and use it. Kindly refer HERE to read about MACRO.
RECORDING A MACRO
MACROS CREATION is quite simple. Here are the steps for creating and Macros.
- Press the LOWER MACRO BUTTON.
- Press RECORD MACRO.
- The Macro will start recording your steps. Before this Click USE RELATIVE REFERENCES.(It’ll make MACRO more useful as the Addresses will be relative rather than ABSOLUTE. ABSOLUTE address means that if we are working on cell A9, the macro would work on A9 only and not on other cells.
- After the process is complete, press STOP RECORDING under the MACRO LOWER BUTTON.
DESCRIPTION OF ANIMATED SCENARIO:
The example shows a series of operations where the BASE NUMBER is first added 5.
After this the number is divided by 5
The end result is joined with a text “You are ” and result is achieved.
The process is same as discussed before picture.
RUNNING A MACRO
- After a macro has been created it is stored for future use.
- CLICK MACRO button.
- Following Dialog BOX will open.
- Click on the RUN BUTTON and the MACRO would run and perform the job.
DISPLAY DEVELOPER TAB IN EXCEL
The tab shown in the picture below is the DEVELOPER TAB.
It is one of the many tabs present in the Ribbon area. But by default Developer tab is not present. But as we are going to use VBA and MACRO , we need this tab. So let us see how we can show/hide this tab.
STEPS TO SHOW DEVELOPER TAB
IF DEVELOPER TAB IS NOT VISIBLE TO YOU, HERE ARE THE STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
- Right-click anywhere on the Ribbon and choose Customize the Ribbon.
Excel displays the Customize Ribbon tab of the Excel Options dialog box.
- In the list box on the right, place a check mark next to Developer.
- Click OK.
- Go to File and then Options.
- In the options choose CUSTOMIZE RIBBON and we reach the same place.
- Choose DEVELOPER TAB.
The picture shows the both ways of showing the DEVELOPER TAB.
OPENING VBA WINDOW
After we have got the DEVELOPER TAB appeared , now is the turn for the VBA Window, where we ‘ll start writing code for our applications.
KEYBOARD: Press ALT+F11.
MOUSE: Press the buttons shown in the picture below. They’ll take us to the Visual Basic for Applications window.
KNOW THE VBA WINDOWS
SAVING THE FILE WITH MACRO(VBA CODE)
|.xlsm||MACRO ENABLED WORKBOOK|
|.xls||1997-2003 OLD VERSION WORKBOOK|
|.xltx||EXCEL TEMPLATE WORKBOOK|
|.xlam||EXCEL ADDIN WORKBOOK|
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.