COUNT FUNCTION comes under the STATISTICAL FUNCTIONS category in Excel.
COUNT function , as the name suggests, does the counting job in Excel. It counts the numbers, dates, number stored as text only and skips every other data.
COUNT FUNCTION is very helpful when we need to use some nested functions to make a check on the number of cells containing the number or number type of data.
One more usage of this function will be when we start learning VBA, we’ll be needing a lot of functions to know the status of the sheet so that we can decide what to do further.
Let us learn ,how to use this function.
PURPOSE OF COUNT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
COUNT FUNCTION returns the total number of cells containing number, dates or number in text format in a given range.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN AVEDEV FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- Some information about the STATISTICAL terms is an advantage for the use of such formulas.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: COUNT FUNCTION
The Syntax for the function is
=COUNT(cell1, cell3, cell3….) or
=COUNT(cell1 : cell2) direct range
cells These are the data. It can be a cell address, or value, or a date directly or contained in a cell.
EXAMPLE:COUNT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
Let us take a mixed data consisting of numbers, dates, numbers as text and text etc. so that we can check the working of function COUNT.
The data used is shown below.
STEPS TO USE COUNT FUNCTION-EXAMPLE
1. Place the cursor in the cell and type the following function
2. Press ENTER, the answer will appear as 9.
3.For manually checking the answer, we tried to find the individual results too. For that we put
=COUNT(D6) in the cell E6 and dragged to get the result for every data. We counted the number and it came out to be 9 which proves the function.
*NOTE: There was a discrepancy with this kind of data “54641”. The function didn’t treat it as a number. So be very clear that if this data is given to the function through the ARRAY OR RANGE, it won’t be treated as number but if given directly as a value, it’ll be treated as a number.
GENERALIZED STEPS TO USE COUNT FUNCTION
- Type the function
- =COUNT(DATA1, DATA2….) OR COUNT(RANGE) in the cell where we want the result.
- Press ENTER and the result will appear.
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.