FLOOR FUNCTION is quite a useful function in day to day working in programming. It is a special type of ROUND function.
It is found under the STATISTICAL GROUP of the formulas in MICROSOFT EXCEL.
FLOOR FUNCTION rounds down the number (rounding towards the lower digit) to the next digit of significance.
This is a question found in many brains that how can we round to a certain specific number or how can we round other than the standard numbers. So this is the answer to all those question.
This function is very helpful when we need to do some rounding or giving the result as a multiple of some number.
PURPOSE OF FLOOR FUNCTION IN EXCEL
FLOOR FUNCTION rounds down any number towards the multiple of given number of significance.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN FLOOR FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- Some information about the STATISTICAL terms is an advantage for the use of such formulas.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: FLOOR FUNCTION
The Syntax for the function is
=FLOOR (NUMBER, SIGNIFICANCE)
NUMBER is the given number which is to be rounded
SIGNIFICANCE is the number of significance. The number will be rounded down to its nearest multiple.
e.g. If we have 5 and significance is 3, the result will be 3.
EXAMPLE:FLOOR FUNCTION IN EXCEL
Let us take a random data to check the FLOOR FUNCTION to various significance.
We’ll find out value of the cell 2,2 distance away from G18 and in second step we would try to find out the sum of H19:I20 using the OFFSET FUNCTION
|DATA 1||SIGNIFICANCE||DATA 2||SIGNIFICANCE|
STEPS TO USE FLOOR FUNCTION-EXAMPLE
1. Place the cursor in the cell and type the following function
2. USE THE FOLLOWING FUNCTION
FOR DATA 1
F7 is the cell which contains the value to be rounded. (value can also be put directly).
and 3 is the significance, the number will be rounded down to nearest multiple of 3. Similarly
generalized STEPS TO USE FLOOR function
- USE THE FUNCTION
- =FLOOR( CELL WITH THE DATA, NUMBER OF SIGNIFICANCE)
- Press ENTER and the result will appear.
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.