TEXT FUNCTION is found under the TEXT FUNCTION CATEGORY of Excel.
TEXT FUNCTION is specially created to format the values and make them more readable as per our requirement.
PURPOSE OF TEXT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
TEXT FUNCTION allows us to format our number into more readable format. There are several standard codes by the use of which we can customize the format for better readability.
Simply saying it is just the way to change the format of the cell just like we change the format using the CHANGE FORMAT DIALOG BOX.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN TEXT FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- If we know the way Excel handles the DATES, the function becomes a bit easier to learn.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: TEXT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
The Syntax for the TEXT function in Excel is
=TEXT ( VALUE TO BE FORMATTED , FORMAT CODE WHICH IS TO BE APPLIED )
VALUE TO BE FORMATTED This is the value on which we want to operate and change the format.
FORMAT CODE is the code of the format which is to be applied on the given value.
DIFFERENT FORMATS IN TEXT FUNCTION
In simple words, TEXT FUNCTION changes the format of the cells. We can use any format using the Text function and perform various functions such as
- applying leading zeros,
- putting the comma after a fixed number of digits for currency
- extracting date and time from a long date.
- converting the format of date or time
- creating any special phone numbers and many more.
CONCEPT OF TEXT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
The concept of text function is simple.
As the first argument, we have the value on which we want to operate. As the second argument , we tell the TEXT FUNCTION, in which format we want to see the value.
Read the following statement twice.
1. THE NUMBERS CAN BE DENOTED BY A 0 , # OR ? FOR TELLING THE TEXT FUNCTION ABOUT THE FORMAT WE WANT.
THE TIME AND DATE RECOGNIZES HH FOR HOURS, MM FOR MINUTES, SS FOR SECONDS, MM FOR MONTHS DD FOR DATE AND YY OR YYYY FOR YEARS.
Keeping these points in mind let us try to put this theory into action.
Suppose we have a 9 (Nine) number digit say 1234546789 and we want to put a hyphen (-) at position after 2 digits and 6 digits from the right. Let us create format for this.
We’ll use the formula
=TEXT(123456789, “###-####-##”) or
=TEXT(123456789, “000-0000-00”) or
All of them would give the result as 123-4567-89
Similarly , we can try any format. For the help we can use the FORMAT DIALOG BOX TOO. which can be opened easily by CTRL+1 or RIGHT CLICK>FORMAT CELLS.
EXAMPLES :TEXT FUNCTION IN EXCEL
Let us try to convert various formats using the TEXT FUNCTION.
|5463||CURRENCY WITH $ AND SEPARATOR||$5,463||=TEXT(F6,”$#,#00″)|
|3216546123||() IN THE FIRST THREE DIGITS||(321)-6546123||=TEXT(F7,”(###)-######0″)|
|30-06-2020||EXTRACT DATE AND MONTH||30/06||=TEXT(F8,”DD/MM”)|
|18:30:54||EXTRACT HRS AND MINUTES||$01||=TEXT(F9,”$#,#00″)|
|30-06-2020||PUT DATE IN YY/DD/MM FORMAT||20/30/06||=TEXT(F11,”YY/DD/MM”)|
|0.321||PERCENTAGE UPTO 1 DECIMAL||32.1%||=TEXT(F14,”#.0%”)|
|0.321||PERCENTAGE UPTO 2 DECIMAL||32.10%||=TEXT(F15,”#.00%”)|
|4.25||FRACTION||4 1/4||=TEXT(F16,”# ?/?”)|
|18:53||TIME WITH AM/PM||6:53 PM||=TEXT(F18,”H:MM AM/PM”)|
STEPS TO USE TEXT FUNCTION
Many examples has been shown above to use the TEXT FUNCTION.
The generalized steps are following.
- Place the cursor where you want to get the output.
- Put the formula =Text(Value, “Format in the way you want the output”).
- The answer would appear.
GETTING HELP FOR FORMATS TO BE USED IN TEXT FUNCTION
If you are confused about any type of format, you can always get help from Excel itself.
- Go to the cell.
- Right Click >Format Cells
- Go to Custom
- An exhaustive list is already there which can be used too.
- Just right click the format and paste in your function.
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.