Degree symbol is known to everybody as it is used commonly.
Every day differs from the other in respect to the weather and the most important parameter to explain the weather is the temperature.
A DEGREE IS A SMALL SUPERSCRIPTED ‘O’ WHICH IS USED IN SCIENTIFIC TERMS SUCH AS TEMPERATURE OR ANGLE MAINLY.
We always tell the temperature as DEGREE FAHRENHEIT OR DEGREE CELSIUS.
While making the reports comprising of the temperatures, we might need to enter the degree formatting in our reports.
Sometimes it becomes a problem to insert a degree symbol in Excel as this option is not available on the keyboard itself.
In this article we will learn different ways to insert a DEGREE in Excel.
ADD A DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL
There can be different ways of creating a DEGREE symbol in your sheet in Excel.We’ll go through each of the method one by one to search out the options for finding out the ways to add copyright symbol.
DIFFERENT METHODS OF ADDING A DEGREE SYMBOL
- READY TO USE SYMBOL
- USING GOOGLE
- USING SYMBOL INSERTION
- USING EQUATION SYMBOLS
- USING KEYBOARD
1. READY TO USE DEGREE SYMBOL
If you need the DEGREE SYMBOL for now only, you can just copy this symbol from here and use it in your sheet.
- Copy the symbol by selecting it and clicking CTRL+C or RIGHT CLICK> COPY.
- Double Click the cell or select the cell and press F2 to make it editable where you want to paste it.
- Press CTRL+V or Right Click > Paste.
YOU CAN COPY EITHER OF THESE DEGREE SYMBOLS AND PASTE IT IN YOUR EXCEL SHEET
2.INSERT DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING GOOGLE
Google is a great tool for a lot of our requirements. We can use it to find out our symbols too. It ‘ll save us a lot of time.
This is the easiest method of inserting a DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL.
It is easy because it is fast, and we don’t need to remember anything for this.
THE ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR THIS METHOD IS THE AVAILABILITY OF INTERNET.
Here are the steps.
- Open google.com in your browser.
- Type in the search box DEGREE SYMBOL. (no need to ask for the procedure)
- The following picture will appear on the screen. There can be a bit difference too due to region etc. but the thing which we are finding, we’ll definitely get it.
- Now look at the page and search for a DEGREE SYMBOL but mind it, we don’t want an image.
- We want text, so select the one which is shown in the picture as marked with a square and copy it. [For copying select the symbol and press CTRL+C or use RIGHT CLICK and choose COPY ]. [ Shown in the picture above ].
- Paste it anywhere in the sheet. [Double click the cell or press F2 to make it editable and press CTRL+V or RIGHT CLICK and choose PASTE]
- The copied symbol will respond to font size as well as to font.
NOTE: Using the image symbol is discussed in next section . Only copy the image if you need . Image is to be handled separately and won’t respond to the font and text size.
3.INSERT DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING SYMBOL CHART
The other method of inserting a DEGREE SYMBOL is using the SYMBOL INSERTION FACILITY from the SYMBOL TABLE.
There is a complete table in the MICROSOFT EXCEL having a full fledged list of a big number of symbols from where we can choose the symbols we like. Follow the following steps to insert the symbol in the Excel using symbol dialog box. But we have a problem with the DEGREE symbol.
- Open the Excel software.
- Double click the cell or press F2 to make the cell editable where you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to INSERT TAB and CLICK SYMBOL or Press ALT+N+U to open the SYMBOL DIALOG BOX directly.
- In the SUBSET choose LATIN 1 SUPPLEMENT SYMBOLS .
- Search the DEGREE symbol and select it.
- Alternatively, you can enter 00B0 in the CHARACTER CODE and it’ll appear directly.
The symbol will be inserted in the selected cell.
- Press INSERT and it’ll be inserted in the cell chosen.
4.INSERT DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING CHAR AND UNICHAR FUNCTIONS
We already learnt to insert a DEGREE SYMBOL using the google , image and symbol dialog box.
We can also insert the DEGREE SYMBOL using the functions present in the EXCEL.
As we know that all the characters are given the ASCII codes and the characters which are not in the ASCII table are given UNICODE.
Luckily DEGREE is present in both.
So, we can make use of CHAR FUNCTION as well as UNICHAR FUNCTION to insert DEGREE SYMBOL in EXCEL.
THE ASCII CODE OF DEGREE IS 176 AND UNICODE OF DEGREE IS 00B0 WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO 0176 IN DECIMAL. [ WE NEED DECIMAL VALUE IN UNICHAR FUNCTION ]
- Select the cell where we want the result.
- Enter the formula =CHAR(176).
- Press Enter.
- The DEGREE SYMBOL will appear.
- We can also use UNICODE of symbol DEGREE.
- Select the cell where we want the result.
- Enter the formula as =UNICHAR(0176) or =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(“00B0”))
* HEX2DEC will convert HEXADECIMAL format TO DECIMAL FORMAT.
The following picture shows the result.
For using the function and attaching the degree symbol with a number, we can make use of the CONCATENATION OPERATOR or CONCATENATE FUNCTION or CONCAT FUNCTION.
Suppose we have 41 in cell A1.
If we want to show 41 degree in A2, we can use the formula as
5.INSERT DEGREE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING KEYBOARD
There is another very fast method of inserting any character or to be specific DEGREE SYMBOL in our case, in the sheet instantly.
The method is to press ALT and press the CHARACTER CODE WHILE THE ALT KEY IS PRESSED.
But for our case, we need to first select the font and then press ALT and press 0128 WHILE ALT IS PRESSED.
APPLY DEGREE FORMATTING TO MULTIPLE CELLS IN A SINGLE STEP
We already learnt various ways to insert the DEGREE SYMBOL in Excel.
Now suppose we have a number of cells to which we want to apply the degree symbol at once.
We can use the following ways.
- Select all the cells where we want to apply the degree formatting or insert the degree symbol with a number.
The following animated picture shows the complete process.
We have temperature readings where we need to apply the degree symbol with all the readings.
- Right Click and choose FORMAT CELLS.
- Choose CUSTOM.
- Enter the format as 00°. [ Enter 00 and press ALT+0176 to insert the degree symbol.]
- Click OK.
- All the readings will show the degree symbol as we required.
So these were a few methods of inserting DEGREE symbol in excel. Although there can be a few more too but these are the most easiest and useful ones. Because after all, the main aim is to the work fast and efficiently.