Table of Contents
- WHAT IS A STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL [ σ ]?
- ADD A SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD
- 1.DELIVERY DESK
- 2.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD USING GOOGLE OR OTHER SEARCH ENGINES
- 3.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD USING SYMBOLS
- 4.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL OR SMALL SIGMA SMARTLY USING AUTO CORRECT OPTION
- CREATING AUTOCORRECT ENTRY FOR STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL SYMBOL
- 5.INSERT SMALL SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL IN WORD USING KEYBOARD
- WHAT IS THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT SMALL SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL IN MS WORD?
- WHAT IS THE ALT CODE OF STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL ?
- WHAT IS THE UNICODE OF STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL?
- WHAT IS THE CHARACTER CODE OF SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL?
- ARE SMALL SIGMA AND CAPITAL SIGMA ARE DIFFERENT?
MS word is a great application and has the top place in the word processors.
While creating different documents we might need to enter the different characters .
These symbols are handy while making many documents but we find hard to find these symbols as these are not available on the keyboard. The symbols present on the keyboard can be easily found but not these.
So we’ll take up one by one all the symbols and check the main and easy methods only to insert them.The methods, which are easy and you won’t forget easily.
In this article we’ll learn to insert or type SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol in MS WORD.
Let us start.
WHAT IS A STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL [ σ ]?
STANDARD DEVIATION or SMALL SIGMA is the eighteenth letter of the GREEK ALPHABET.
Greek Symbols have been used to denote the scientific or mathematical terms or parameters for so long that they have become the standards.
Most commonly the small sigma symbol or commonly known as SIGMA SYMBOL [ σ ] is used to denote STANDARD DEVIATION which is frequently used in Statistics.
The STANDARD DEVIATION [σ] denotes the measure of amount of dispersion or simply stating STANDARD DEVIATION shows us the variation in the data from its mean or average value.
A LOW STANDARD DEVIATION MEANS MORE ACCURACY OR MOST OF THE VALUES OF THE GIVEN DATA SET TENDS TOWARDS THE MEAN OF THE DATA WHEREAS A HIGH STANDARD DEVIATION MEANS LESSER ACCURACY OR MOST OF THE VALUES OF THE GIVEN DATA SET DON'T TEND TO TOWARDS THE MEAN.
SUMMATION IS THE PROCESS OF SUMMING UP VARIOUS TERMS and small sigma is used to denote the statement in a very concise manner.
For example if we want to symbolize the sequence 0+1+2+3+…..n [ Sum of all the terms up to n ], the small sigma will be used as
which shows that the sequence will start from the 0 and will go up to term n.
If we elaborate it’ll denote the same sequence as 0+1+2+3+4…..n
Similarly SMALL SIGMA [ Σ ] is also used to denote the TOTAL of any calculation, self energy etc.
While using the MS WORD to create any write up where we need to type the SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol, we’ll need to insert the SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol using the various methods discussed in this article.
These symbols are not present on the keyboard directly which create the need to learn the different ways to insert or type the SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol in word.
ADD A SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD
There can be different ways of creating or inserting or typing an SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol in your document in MS WORD .
We’ll go through each of the method one by one to search out the options for finding out the ways to add approximately symbol.
DIFFERENT METHODS OF TYPING OR INSERTING SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL
- DELIVERY DESK
- USING GOOGLE OR SEARCH ENGINES
- USING SYMBOLS
- USING AUTO CORRECT OPTION
- USING KEYBOARD
It’s always great to learn new things.
You must go through the article to learn new ways of inserting the SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL in MS WORD but if you want it instantly, you can copy it from here and it’ll work all fine in your MS WORD documents.
The symbol copied from here will respond to the font as well as size.
STEPS TO COPY THE STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL
- Select the given small sigma symbol. [ Capital or Small ]
- Select the cell in the sheet where you want to insert the symbol.
- Press CTRL+V or Right Click > Paste.
- The THETA SYMBOL will be inserted.
σ- SMALL SIGMA
2.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD USING GOOGLE OR OTHER SEARCH ENGINES
We all have such a vast knowledge of our work area, we all do. But what happens when we don’t use some special knowledge for a long time, we start forgetting it. This is a case with each one of us.
So it is quite possible that we forget the procedures of symbol insertion by the time of the need. So this method is for those friends who have forgot the symbol insertion methods.
Here are the steps.
- Open google.com or any other search engine such as bing.com in your browser.
- Type in the searchbox symbol. (no need to ask for the procedure)
- The following picture will appear on the screen. There can be a bit difference too due to region etc.
- Now look at the page and search for an STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA but mind it, we don’t want an image.
- Most of the bigger pictures are images, we want text, so select the one which is shown in the picture as selected and copy it. [For copying select the symbol and press CTRL+C or use RIGHT CLICK and choose COPY]
- For reference , the picture above shows the selected characters.
- Paste it anywhere in the sheet. [Select the cell and press CTRL+V or RIGHT CLICK and choose PASTE.
- The copied symbol will respond to font size as well as to font.
NOTE: Don’t copy the image by change. Image is tough to handle and won’t respond to the font and text size.
3.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IN MS WORD USING SYMBOLS
- The other method of inserting a STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol is using the SYMBOLS BOX.
There is a complete table in the MICROSOFT WORD having a full fledged list of a big number of symbols from where we can choose the symbols we like.
Follow the following steps to insert the symbol in the WORD using symbol dialog box.
- Open the MS WORD software.
- Go to INSERT TAB and CLICK SYMBOL or Press ALT+N+U to open the SYMBOL DIALOG BOX directly.
- Refer to the picture given below.
- Choose FONT as NORMAL TEXT.
- Choose SUBSET as GREEK AND COPTIC.
IF YOU DON'T SEE SUBSET OPTION, GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DIALOG BOX, AND SET THE FROM FIELD AS UNICODE(HEX).
- Select the STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL from the list and click INSERT.
- The STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol will get inserted in the selected cell.
- Click INSERT and the SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL symbol will be inserted.
4.INSERT STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL OR SMALL SIGMA SMARTLY USING AUTO CORRECT OPTION
Have you ever tried to type (c) in Word??
If you haven’t tried, try it right now. You would find that it’ll get converted into © symbol.
It happens because of the AUTOCORRECT option in the MS WORD.
Sometimes this autocorrect option can be irritating, but we can make use of this option to insert SUMMATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol directly just by entering any shortcut name such as (ssigma) or anything which you think you are not going to use as a text in your document.
So, let us try to learn to create one entry so that our application might help us to get the SMALL SIGMA symbol directly.
CREATING AUTOCORRECT ENTRY FOR STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL SYMBOL
FOLLOW THE STEPS TO INSERT THE SIGMA SYMBOL BY PUTTING THE ENTRY IN AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS.
- Go to FILE and choose OPTIONS.
- As we choose options , following window will open.
- On the left choose PROOFING.
- As we click PROOFING, choose AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS from the options under PROOFING.
- After we click AUTO CORRECT options, following window will open.
- In the field REPLACE add the symbol [ symbol name as (ssigma) for our example ] which you want to be auto corrected by the Word automatically.
- Across the REPLACE ,in the WITH FIELD paste the SIGMA symbol which you can copy from any methods discussed above. [ You can also hold ALT KEY and type 229 from the numpad.]
- Click ADD.
- The auto correct pair will be added.
- We are done.
- We can try this by just typing the word we fixed for autocorrection i.e. (ssigma) and it’ll be converted into SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL as shown in the picture below.
5.INSERT SMALL SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL IN WORD USING KEYBOARD
There is another very fast method of inserting any character or to be specific SIGMA SYMBOL in our case, in the the document instantly.
The method is to insert the symbol using the keyboard shortcuts which will save us from following the long steps.
We have two different ways to insert the STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA symbol in MS word directly.
- Using Character Code.
- Using ALT+X
USING CHARACTER CODE:
The method is to press ALT and press the CHARACTER CODE WHILE THE ALT KEY IS PRESSED [USING NUMPAD]
Press ALT and press 229 WHILE ALT IS PRESSED.
THE ALT CODE FOR THE SIGMA [ CAPITAL ] SYMBOL IS 229.
One more super efficient method in MS WORD is with the use of ALT+X.
Simply type the UNICODE of the character and press ALT+X.
THE UNICODE FOR THE SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IS 03C3[HEX]
The unicode will be converted to the respective character.
The following animation shows the process.
WHAT IS THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT SMALL SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL IN MS WORD?
- Simply press ALT and keep it pressed.
- Press 2, 2 , 9 in the sequence as we keep the ALT PRESSED.
WHAT IS THE ALT CODE OF STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL ?
ALT CODE is available for only capital theta symbol.
The ALT CODE for SMALL SIGMA symbol is 229.
PRESS AND HOLD ALT AND PRESS 2 FOLLOWED BY 2 AND 9.
RELEASE ALT KEY. THE SIGMA SYMBOL WILL APPEAR.
WHAT IS THE UNICODE OF STANDARD DEVIATION OR SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL?
THE UNICODE FOR THE SMALL SIGMA SYMBOL IS 03C3[HEX]
WHAT IS THE CHARACTER CODE OF SIGMA OR STANDARD DEVIATION SYMBOL?
The character code for theta symbol is 229.
ARE SMALL SIGMA AND CAPITAL SIGMA ARE DIFFERENT?
Yes, SIGMA is just a letter from the GREEK ALPHABET.
As we have capital and small letters in ENGLISH ALPHABET, so does we have in GREEK ALPHABET.