Table of Contents
- WHAT IS DIVISION OR DIVIDING?
- DIFFERENT DIVISION SIGNS
- DIFFERENT WAYS TO INSERT A LONG DIVISION / LONG DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL
- 1. GET LONG DIVISION / LONG DIVIDE SYMBOL FROM DELIVERY DESK- COPY PASTE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL
- 2. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING IMAGE
- 3. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING SYMBOL CHART
- 4. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING CHAR AND UNICHAR FUNCTIONS
- 5. INSERT LONG DIVISION DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING KEYBOARD
- CREATING AUTOCORRECT ENTRY FOR LONG DIVISION SYMBOL
- 6.MANUAL METHOD
- DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIVISION SYMBOL AND DIVISION OPERATOR AND LONG DIVISION SYMBOL IN EXCEL?
- WHAT IS THE ALT CODE OF LONG DIVISION/ DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL ?
- WHAT IS THE ASCII CODE OR CHARACTER CODE OF DIVISION / DIVIDE BY SYMBOL?
- WHAT IS THE UNICODE FOR DIVISION/ DIVIDE BY SYMBOL?
- WHERE TO FIND LONG DIVIDE / DIVISION SYMBOL ON KEYBOARD?
- CAN WE USE ⟌ SYMBOL TO DIVIDE IN EXCEL?
Let us start another exciting session of Excel Tricks with gyankosh.net
This article will let you know how to insert LONG DIVIDE SYMBOL in EXCEL.
DIVISION , AS WE ALL KNOW IS ONE OF THE STANDARD BASIC MATHEMATICAL OPERATIONS. THE SYMBOL IS NEEDED FREQUENTLY WHEN WE NEED TO USE THE DIVISION [ ⟌ ] SYMBOL SPECIFICALLY FOR ANY PURPOSE.
Although we use a Slash for using this operation with the help of the operator but if we want to show the operation , the standard division symbol is the best choice.
These symbols are handy while making many reports but we find it hard to find these symbols as they are not available on the keyboard.
The symbols present on the keyboard can be easily found but not these and especially the LONG DIVISION symbol.
So we’ll check the main and easy methods only to insert them. The methods, which are easy and you won’t forget easily. Let us start.
WHAT IS DIVISION OR DIVIDING?
DIVISION is one of the basic mathematical operations.
Division means to divide something into a different number of portions.
The division symbol is the one that has been assigned to depict the process of division.
For example, 45÷5 means 45 is being divided by 5. Of course, the answer will be 9.
In this article, we’ll be focusing on the different ways to use the ⟌ Long division or divide symbol in Excel.
DIFFERENT DIVISION SIGNS
There are different signs which we use for the division operation.
Some of the very frequently used symbols or signs are ÷ , / or ⟌ .
All of the three symbols shown above represents the division process. We used to use the first and third symbol in the primary schools and the / (Slash) is mostly used in the calculators , computers , mobiles etc. But we may need to insert these symbols while preparing any exam question or any other requirement when we want to use these symbols only.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO INSERT A LONG DIVISION / LONG DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL
There can be different ways of creating a LONG division symbol in your sheet in Excel.
We’ll go through each of the methods one by one to search out the options for finding out the ways to add LONG DIVISION symbol.
DIFFERENT METHODS OF INSERTING A DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL
- DELIVERY DESK- COPY PASTE METHOD
- USING IMAGE
- USING SYMBOL INSERTION
- USING FUNCTIONS
- USING KEYBOARD
- MANUAL METHOD
1. GET LONG DIVISION / LONG DIVIDE SYMBOL FROM DELIVERY DESK- COPY PASTE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL
It is always great to learn new things.
You must go through the article to learn new ways of inserting the LONG DIVISION SYMBOL in Excel but if you want it instantly, you can copy it from here and it’ll work all fine in your excel sheets.
The symbol copied from here will respond to the font as well as size.
STEPS TO COPY THE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL
- Select the given LONG DIVISION symbol.
- Select the cell in the sheet where you want to insert the symbol.
- [If we want the DIVISION symbol only in the cell ]
- If we want to put the DIVISION symbol with other characters or words in the same cell DOUBLE CLICK or PRESS F2 to make the cell editable.
- Press CTRL+V or Right Click > Paste.
- The DIVISION SYMBOL will be inserted.
*THE SYMBOL COPIED WILL RESPOND TO THE FONT FACE AS WELL AS TO SIZE.
2. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING IMAGE
We just discussed how we can find, copy and insert a symbol by searching it on google. Now let us move to the next method.
If we don’t need to change any font etc. of the LONG DIVISION symbol , we can find, copy and insert an image too.
- Open google.com or any other search engine in your browser.
- Type in the search box LONG DIVISION SYMBOL. (no need to ask for the procedure, just type the word)
- Click the IMAGES tab to get the image results.
- The following picture will appear on the screen. There can be a bit difference too due to region etc. but the thing which we are finding, we’ll definitely get it.
- We’ll get a few pictures of the LONG DIVISION symbol, a few as the text. Using the text we already learned.
- RIGHT-CLICK the image you like and choose COPY IMAGE.
- Paste the picture into the sheet as shown in the picture below.
NOTE: SOMETIMES DIRECTLY COPYING THE IMAGE AND PASTING IN THE EXCEL DOESN’T HAPPEN. FOR THAT, RIGHT-CLICK AND SAVE THE IMAGE AS> SAVE THE PICTURE AT ANY LOCATION. DRAG THE IMAGE TO THE EXCEL OR RIGHT-CLICK THE FILE, COPY AND PASTE TO THE EXCEL SHEET.
- After pasting, Select the picture and resize it with the help of small circles shown in the picture.
- Play with the picture till we get the image that we want.
BUT ALWAYS BE CAREFUL ABOUT A FEW THINGS.
- Take care of the picture copyrights. Use free pictures only.
- It’s better, if we can, we can create our own picture in Excel as well as Paint which both are very capable graphic designers.
- The font of the image LONG DIVISION symbol won’t change with the change in the font of the text.
- The benefit is that we can design and use fancy LONG DIVISION SYMBOLS as images.
3. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING SYMBOL CHART
The other method of inserting a long division symbol is using the SYMBOL INSERTION FACILITY from the SYMBOL TABLE.
There is a complete table in the MICROSOFT EXCEL having a full-fledged list of a big number of symbols from which we can choose the symbols we like.
Follow the following steps to insert the symbol in the Excel using the symbol dialog box.
- Open the Excel software.
- Go to INSERT TAB and CLICK SYMBOL or Press ALT+N+U to open the SYMBOL DIALOG BOX directly.
- Choose CAMBRIA as Font.
- Choose UNICODE(HEX) from FROM dropdown.
- Choose MISCELLANEOUS MATHEMATICAL SYMBOLS-A.
- Search the LONG DIVISION symbol and select it.
- Alternatively, you can enter 27CC in the CHARACTER CODE from UNICODE(HEX) .
- The LONG DIVISION symbol will be selected.
- Click INSERT.
- The symbol will be inserted in the selected cell.
- Press INSERT and it’ll be inserted in the cell chosen.
4. INSERT LONG DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING CHAR AND UNICHAR FUNCTIONS
We already learned to insert a LONG DIVISION SYMBOL using the google, image, and symbol dialog box.
We can also insert the LONG DIVISION SYMBOL using the functions present in the EXCEL.
As we know that all the characters are given the ASCII codes and the characters which are not in the ASCII table are given UNICODE.
THE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL IS PRESENT IN UNICODE SYSTEM.
So, we can make use of UNICHAR FUNCTION to insert LONG DIVISION SYMBOL in EXCEL.
THE UNICODE OF LONG DIVISION IS 27CC WHICH IS EQUAL TO 10188 IN DECIMAL.
- Double click the cell where we want the result or click F2 to make the cell editable.
- Enter the formula as =UNICHAR(10188) or =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(“27CC”))
- The following picture shows the usage.
* HEX2DEC will convert HEXADECIMAL format TO DECIMAL FORMAT.
The following picture shows the result.
5. INSERT LONG DIVISION DIVISION / DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING KEYBOARD
There is another very fast method of inserting any character or to be specific LONG DIVISION SYMBOL in our case, in the sheet instantly.
One issue with LONG DIVISION SYMBOL, while using keyboard is that there is no ALT CODE for the long division symbol due to the comparatively lesser usage of the symbol and ALT+X method doesn’t work in Excel and is specifically meant for MICROSOFT WORD only.
Even after this unavailability, if we want to use this symbol frequently, the only method left to create a new shortcut ourselves using the AUTOCORRECT METHOD.
FOLLOW THE STEPS TO USE THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT THE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL IN EXCEL
Let us learn a bit about the autocorrect option first.
Have you ever tried to type (c) in Word??
If you haven’t tried, try it right now. You would find that it’ll get converted into © symbol.
It happens because of the AUTOCORRECT option in the MS EXCEL.
Sometimes this autocorrect option can be irritating, but we can make use of this option to insert LONG DIVISION SYMBOL.
In this case, this option is really going to be very helpful.
So, let us try to learn to create one entry so that our application might help us to get the LONG DIVISION SYMBOL directly using the keyboard.
CREATING AUTOCORRECT ENTRY FOR LONG DIVISION SYMBOL
FOLLOW THE STEPS TO INSERT THE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL BY PUTTING THE ENTRY IN AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS.
- Go to FILE and choose OPTIONS.
- As we choose options , following window will open.
- On the left choose PROOFING.
- As we click PROOFING, choose AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS from the options under PROOFING.
- After we click AUTO CORRECT options, following window will open.
- In the field REPLACE add the symbol [ symbol name as (ldvsn) for our example ] which you want to be auto corrected by the Word automatically.
- Across the REPLACE ,in the WITH FIELD paste the cent symbol which you can copy from any methods discussed above perhaps from the first option COPY PASTE.
- Click ADD.
- The auto correct pair will be added.
- We are done.
- We can try this by just typing the word we fixed for autocorrection i.e. (ldvsn) and it’ll be converted into LONG DIVISION SYMBOL as shown in the picture below.
These were a few methods to type long division symbols in Word.
In the LONG DIVISION SYMBOL CHARACTER, which we learnt to insert till now just signifies the presence of the long division but the upper line of this symbol is not long.
What if we want a long division symbol with a full line over all the digits as we use to do on paper.
In that case, we need to use the IMAGE METHOD or we need to create our own image or shape.
- CREATE A SHAPE OF LONG DIVISION SYMBOL AND USE IT
- USE SHAPES TO CREATE LONG DIVISION SYMBOL AS PER THE REQUIREMENT
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIVISION SYMBOL AND DIVISION OPERATOR AND LONG DIVISION SYMBOL IN EXCEL?
A division symbol ÷ shows the process of division.
For example 6 ÷ 2 means the number 2 is dividing 6, but it has no significance in Excel if we try to use it in any formula.
A Division operator is symbolized by a FORWARD SLASH [ / ].
When we want to do a real division in Excel, we’ll be needing a division operator and not the division symbol. For example, when we need to do the same division in Excel, we’ll use the formula as
=6/2 and it’ll give us the result as 3.
A Long Division symbol is used when we describe the complete division process using the long division symbol, divisor, and dividend, etc. Mostly this symbol is used in primary schools.
WHAT IS THE ALT CODE OF LONG DIVISION/ DIVIDE SYMBOL IN EXCEL ?
There is no ALT CODE given for LONG DIVISION SYMBOL.
WHAT IS THE ASCII CODE OR CHARACTER CODE OF DIVISION / DIVIDE BY SYMBOL?
The CHARACTER CODE of division/divide by symbol is 10188.
WHAT IS THE UNICODE FOR DIVISION/ DIVIDE BY SYMBOL?
The unicode for the division/divide by symbol is 27CC [10188 (decimal) ]
WHERE TO FIND LONG DIVIDE / DIVISION SYMBOL ON KEYBOARD?
⟌ Long division/ divide symbol is not available on the keyboard but you can use AUTOCORRECT option discussed above to insert the symbol easily.
CAN WE USE ⟌ SYMBOL TO DIVIDE IN EXCEL?
No, Excel won’t respond to this symbol for the division. It is just a simple character for Excel.
You need to use a forward slash for the division. [ / ].