Table of Contents
- ADD A SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL
- 1.DELIVERY DESK
- 2.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING GOOGLE
- 3.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING SYMBOLS
- 4.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING FUNCTION
- 5.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING KEYBOARD
Let us start another exciting session of Excel Tricks with gyankosh.net
This article will let you know how to insert different symbols or specifically square root, copyright, divide and check mark symbol in your excel sheet.
These symbols are handy while making many reports but we find hard to find these symbols as these are not available on the keyboard. The symbols present on the keyboard can be easily found but not these.
So we’ll take up one by one all the symbols and check the main and easy methods only to insert them.The methods, which are easy and you won’t forget easily.
In this article we’ll learn to insert or type square root symbol in excel.
Let us start.
ADD A SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL
There can be different ways of creating a SQUARE ROOT symbol in your sheet in Excel.
We’ll go through each of the method one by one to search out the options for finding out the ways to add SQUARE ROOT symbol.
DIFFERENT METHODS OF ADDING A SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL
- DELIVERY DESK
- USING GOOGLE
- USING SYMBOL
- USING FUNCTION
- USING KEYBOARD
Its always great to learn new things.
You must go through the article to learn new ways of inserting the SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL in Excel but if you want it instantly, you can copy it from here and it’ll work all fine in your excel sheets.
The symbol copied from here will respond to the font as well as size.
STEPS TO COPY THE SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL
- Select the given SQUARE ROOT symbol.
- Select the cell in the sheet where you want to insert the symbol.
- Press CTRL+V or Right Click > Paste.
- The SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL will be inserted.
2.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING GOOGLE
We all have such a vast knowledge of our work area, we all do. But what happens when we don’t use some special knowledge for a long time, we start forgetting it. This is a case with each one of us.
So it is quite possible that we forget the procedures of symbol insertion by the time of the need. So this method is for those friends who have forgot the symbol insertion methods.
Here are the steps.
- Open google.com in your browser.
- Type in the searchbox square root symbol. (no need to ask for the procedure)
- The following picture will appear on the screen. There can be a bit difference too due to region etc.
- Now look at the page and search for a SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL but mind it, we don’t want an image.
- Most of the bigger pictures are images, we want text, so select the one which is shown in the picture as selected and copy it. [For copying select the symbol and press CTRL+C or use RIGHT CLICK and choose COPY]
- For reference , the picture above shows the selected characters.
- Paste it anywhere in the sheet. [Select the cell and press CTRL+V or RIGHT CLICK and choose PASTE.
- The copied symbol will respond to font size as well as to font.
NOTE: Don’t copy the image by change. Image is tough to handle and won’t respond to the font and text size.
3.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING SYMBOLS
- The other method of inserting a SQUARE ROOT symbol is using the SYMBOL INSERTION FACILITY.
There is a complete table in the MICROSOFT EXCEL having a full fledged list of a big number of symbols from where we can choose the symbols we like. Follow the following steps to insert the symbol in the Excel using symbol dialog box.
- Open the Excel software.
- Go to INSERT TAB and CLICK SYMBOL or Press ALT+N+U to open the SYMBOL DIALOG BOX directly.
- Refer to the picture given below.
- Choose FONT as NORMAL TEXT.
- Choose SUBSET as MATHEMATICAL OPERATORS.
IF YOU DON'T SEE SUBSET OPTION, GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DIALOG BOX, AND SET THE FROM FIELD AS UNICODE(HEX).
- Select the SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL from the list and click INSERT.
- The squareroot symbol will get inserted in the selected cell.
- Click INSERT and the squareroot symbol will be inserted.
4.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING FUNCTION
We already learnt to insert a SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL using the google and symbol dialog box. Now if we remember the ASCII code for the SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL, we have an option of inserting the symbol directly into the spreadsheet. This is the fastest method as it is directly applied in the sheet. Let us learn this.
- Open the Excel software.
- Select the cell where you want to insert the squareroot symbol.
- Enter the following function
=UNICHAR(8730) or UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(“221A”)) and press ENTER. The symbol will be inserted.
Now we have inserted the squareroot symbol. But you must be wondering where to get the code 8730 or 221A.
These are UNICODES given to different characters. It is a one time job and we can find it from the SYMBOLS DIALOG BOX itself. Here are the steps to find out the UNICODES of the characters.
STEPS TO KNOW THE UNICODES CODES OF SPECIAL CHARACTERS:
- Go to INSERT TAB and click symbols.
- The following screen will open.
- Now select the character whose UNICODE or CHARACTER CODE you want to know.
- The character code window is shown below.
In addition to this, there is an alternative and simpler way to search for the UNICODE codes for any symbol.
This will be a great addition to your knowledge. This is a subsection of a different article, but it is worth learning.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN THE PROCESS OF SEARCHING UNICODE FOR CHARACTERS.
5.INSERT SQUARE ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL USING KEYBOARD
There is another very fast method of inserting any character or to be specific SQUAREROOT SYMBOL in our case, in the sheet instantly.The method is to press ALT and press the CHARACTER CODE WHILE THE ALT KEY IS PRESSED.
But for our case, we need to first select the font and then press ALT and press 251 WHILE ALT IS PRESSED.
So these were a few methods of inserting square root symbol in excel.
Although there can be a few more too but these are the most easiest and useful ones. Because after all, the main aim is to the work fast and efficiently.
WHAT IS THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT TO INSERT SQUARE ROOT / RADICAL SYMBOL/ ROOT SYMBOL IN EXCEL ?
- Simply press ALT and keep it pressed.
- Press 2, 5 , 1 in the sequence as we keep the ALT PRESSED.