Format Painter is a utility given in Excel which is used to copy the format of one text to the other within a fraction of a second.
FORMAT PAINTER IS A TOOL IN MICROSOFT EXCEL TO COPY THE FORMAT OF ONE TEXT AND PASTE IT ON THE OTHER AT A LIGHTENING SPEED.
Format painter is very useful tool especially when we have gathered the content from various sources or reports.
It helps us to directly copy the Font of one content to the other directly.
Format is the size, color , font etc. properties of the text.
BUTTON LOCATION OF FORMAT PAINTER
The button location of FORMAT PAINTER is present under Home Tab. The location is
HOME TAB>FORMAT PAINTER UNDER CLIPBOARD SECTION
STEPS TO USE FORMAT PAINTER IN EXCEL
- Go to Home Tab.
- Select the text, whose format you want to copy.
- After selecting the text, click FORMAT PAINTER BUTTON.
- Click the text where you want to copy the format.
- The text’s format will be exactly same as the one copied.
- The following animated example shows the same process.
ANIMATED EXAMPLE TO USE FORMAT PAINTER
In the above mentioned example, there are two texts, current format and intended format.
We select the intended format(The format which is desired, the one which is already there) , click on format painter and click the current format (The current format). The current format changes to the intended format at once.
When we double click the format painter, the command doesn’t reset after a single use but keeps on changing the format of the text , wherever we click.
HOW TO USE FORMAT PAINTER CONTINUOUSLY IN EXCEL?
- Select the intended format (The format you want to copy).
- DOUBLE CLICK format painter button.
- Now click all the text where you want to change the format.
- Normally if we single click the format painter, the command will reset after a single use.
WHAT IS THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT FOR FORMAT PAINTER
Shortcuts always save us a lot of time if we know them.
There are many shortcuts in Excel but we need not to remember all of them.
Always shift to the shortcuts for your repetitive jobs.
The shortcut key for the FORMAT PAINTER is ALT+H+F+P.
Keep ALT pressed followed by pressing H,F AND P letters.
The format painter will be selected.
HOW TO COPY THE NUMBER FORMAT OF THE CELL QUICKLY?
If you have chosen any specific format for any cell, format painter is the best and quickest way to copy this format to other cells.
- Select the cell with a specific format.
- Click FORMAT PAINTER.
- Click or select the cell or range to apply the formatting.