Table of Contents
- WHEN DO WE USE 3D MAP CHARTS
- BUTTON LOCATION FOR INSERTING COLUMN CHARTS
- STEPS TO INSERT A 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
- CHANGE THE TYPE OF CHART IN 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
- CHECKING OUT THE LAYER OPTIONS IN 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
A new chart style has been introduced in EXCEL named as a 3D MAP CHART
.MAP CHART facilitates us with the option of showing the data of different geographical regions of the earth.
We can show the data related to countries/regions, states, counties or postal codes.
As we all are familiar that charts
give us a visual representation of the various data.
It is a scientifically proven fact that we understand better and faster if something is presented visually rather than reading the text.
The complete world map will be shown and it’ll take help of the bing to locate your mentioned place. The data against it can be shown in various ways.
In this article we would learn to use the 3D MAP CHART in EXCEL.
3D MAP CHART lets us show our data on a globe and 3d settings. It is almost like a MAP CHART but in THREE DIMENTIONS [3D].
We can set the different layers over one another to see many data altogether. Let us see the steps to create a simple 3D MAP CHART first.
WHEN DO WE USE 3D MAP CHARTS
These charts are very appealing and creative as they are 3D .
Use these charts when you need to show any data related to different countries/regions, states, counties or postal codes. These types of charts are used to show GEOGRAPHICAL DATA to be precise.
For example, population of the world, crime rate, education, temperatures, any data.
The good thing is the different options which we get with this map.
BUTTON LOCATION FOR INSERTING COLUMN CHARTS
The button for column chart is found under the INSERT TAB under the TOURS SECTION.
STEPS TO INSERT A 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
We can demonstrate a chart by the use of an example.
We will find out the population of the few countries in the world. Let us say our table is the following one.
The details are fictitious and just for the sake of learning.
- The procedure to insert a 3D MAP chart are as follows:
STEPS TO INSERT A 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL:
- Select the data.
- Go to Insert> TOURS> 3D Maps>OPEN 3D Maps.
Let us understand the 3D MAP window.
Look at the picture below and have a look at the different markings on the picture.
LOOK AT THE PICTURE ABOVE.
There is a GLOBE at the center. It shows the countries and locations drawn on itself.
On the RIGHT SIDE are the data type choice box. The countries are already selected under the LOCATION.
Now for our data , we can add population or any other column [if we have].
TYPES OF CHARTS are given on the right side option box. We can have STACKED COLUMN,CLUSTERED COLUMN, BUBBLE CHART, HEAT MAP AND REGION.
In the picture, location is already marked as the chart has already acquired the location data.
Now, let us add our population data in the chart. Follow the steps.
- The default selected STACKED COLUMN OPTION box is open and location is already selected.
- In the height field ,Click on ADD FIELD. A drop down with all the available fields will open. Right now , we have POPULATION only.
- Select Population.
- The population of the different countries will be shown as a 3D bar.
- The following picture shows the population as a 3d bar on the 3d map chart.
The bars’ height represent the population as per the data.
Similarly we can add more data by ADDING THE LAYER and repeating the same process.
Now , let us try changing the types of the charts available.
CHANGE THE TYPE OF CHART IN 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
As we already discussed that other than the STACKED COLUMN chart, we have few other options too such as clustered column, bubble , heatmap etc. So let us change the type of the chart in our 3D MAP CHART.
Follow the steps to change the chart type of the 3D Map Chart.
- Remove the current STACKED COLUMN from the chart by clicking the X mark on the right portion of the HEIGHT FIELD as shown in the picture below. [ THIS STEP CAN BE SKIPPED TOO]
- Select the chart type which you want to use in the 3D MAPS. For the example, we will use REGION VISUALIZATION.
- Click on the REGION VISUALIZATION ICON.
- Now select the POPULATION from the drop down in the VALUE FIELD.
- The chart will change to REGION STYLE and the countries will be colored with intensity showing the population.
- The picture above shows the output of the 3D MAP. We can see that the regions are filled with the colors of different concentration to show the value of the population.
CHECKING OUT THE LAYER OPTIONS IN 3D MAP CHART IN EXCEL
There are a few more options available in the 3D MAP CHART. For example,CHANGING THE COLOR OF THE CHART, ADDING CATEROGIES CHANGING THE OPACITY , CHANGING THE OUTPUT CALCULATION ETC.
1. COLOR INTENSITY VARIATION– It changes the intensity of the color which is filled in the regions.
2.OPACITY– opacity controls the transparency. Higher the opacity , lesser the transparency.
3. CHOOSE COLOR– Choose the color of the chart.
4. CHOICE OF CALCULATION-EXCEL provide us the option to show one of the many types of calculations in the 3D map such as sum, average, count [ not blank], count[unique], maximum and minimum.