TIMEVALUE FUNCTION returns the decimal equivalent of given TIME [given as Text] in EXCEL.
TIMEVALUE FUNCTION is a function under the DATE AND TIME FUNCTIONS category in Excel.
The function is very simple to understand and does a small job but is extremely helpful in sorting out many tricky and tough problems in excel.
It is very helpful in Excel especially when we are working with the dates and time in Excel. The function is quite helpful in the conversion of the
different time values in Text into time easily.
In this article we would learn about the purpose, formula, syntax and examples about the TIMEVALUE function in Excel.
PURPOSE OF TIMEVALUE FUNCTION IN EXCEL
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN TIMEVALUE FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- If we know the way Excel handles the TIME, the function becomes a bit easier to learn.
- Of course, Excel software.
SYNTAX: TIMEVALUE FUNCTION IN EXCEL
The Syntax for the TIMEVALUE FUNCTION in Excel is
=TIMEVALUE (TIME AS TEXT)
EXAMPLE:TIMEVALUE FUNCTION IN EXCEL
For the sake of understanding, let us try TIME VALUE FUNCTION for some examples.
|EXAMPLE||TIME in text|
STEPS TO USE TIMEVALUE FUNCTION
Following table gives the description of the formula usage.
The TIME VALUE COLUMN is our result which shows the DECIMAL VALUES for the time given in TIME IN TEXT column. The lower two values of the example 3 and 4 are shown as the time in our result column i.e. TIME VALUE COLUMN as the format of the cells was changed to TIME after the decimal calculation just to show the further processing.
The general steps are
- Select the cell where we want to find out the result.
- Put the given formula.
- The general format of the function is
- =TIMEVALUE(DIRECT TIME AS TEXT/ CELL CONTAINING THE TIME AS TEXT)
The result and the formula used for individual examples are given in the table below.
|EXAMPLE||TIME in text||TIME VALUE||FORMULA USED|
OTHER FUNCTION OF THE SAME FRATERNITY
OTHER WAYS TO REACH THIS ARTICLE
WHAT IS EXCEL, HOW EXCEL WORKS, WRITE FORMULA IN EXCEL, EXAMPLE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL, ANIMATED EXAMLPE OF USING FORMULA IN EXCEL
YOU MAY LIKE
- HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT A FORMULA IN EXCEL?
- USE OF FONTS, FONT SIZE, INDENTATION, TEXT TO THE RIGHT, TEXT TO THE LEFT, TEXT IN THE MIDDLE ETC.
- how to insert table in excel?
- FOR MORE ARTICLES, CLICK EXCEL OR TYPE IN SEARCH BELOW.