Table of Contents
- PURPOSE OF DAY FUNCTION IN EXCEL
- PREREQUISITES TO LEARN DAY FUNCTION
- SYNTAX: DAY FUNCTION
- EXAMPLE: DAY IN EXCEL
- CONFUSION CLARIFICATIONS
DAY function comes under the DATE AND TIME FUNCTIONS category in Excel.
DAY FUNCTION returns the DAY NUMBER(1 TO 31) from a sequential date.
THIS PARTICULAR FUNCTION IS USED FOR ANY SITUATION WHERE WE NEED TO EXTRACT THE DAY FROM SEQUENTIAL NUMBER OF THE DATE.
PURPOSE OF DAY FUNCTION IN EXCEL
DAY FUNCTION returns the DAY NUMBER from a GIVEN SEQUENTIAL date.
This function can be used in many practical situations such as
- Getting the day as a number [ 1 to 31 ] from the given date.
- To manipulate the day number to search any specific day. For example, if we want to get the even days from the given month or odd days from the given month and so on.
- Get day of the month.
and many more.
PREREQUISITES TO LEARN DAY FUNCTION
THERE ARE A FEW PREREQUISITES WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS FUNCTION IN A BETTER WAY.
- Basic understanding of how to use a formula or function.
- Basic understanding of rows and columns in Excel.
- Some information about the financial terms is an advantage for the use of such formulas.
- Of course, Excel software.
Helpful links for the prerequisites mentioned above What Excel does? How to use formula in Excel?
SYNTAX: DAY FUNCTION
The Syntax for the function is
=DAY(DATE IN SEQUENCE NUMBER OF ENTERED VIA DATE FUNCTION)
DATE IN SEQUENCE NUMBER We know that the date is stored as a sequence number counted from JAN 1 1900.
IT can also be done if we enter DATE by DATE FUNCTION.
EXAMPLE: DAY IN EXCEL
THE TWO CASES HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED.
The date is a sequence number.
The date entered by DATE FUNCTION.
STEPS TO USE DAY FUNCTION
The dates have been given in G7 AND G9.The functions has been used are shown in the picture itself.The function for CASE 1 is
and The function for CASE 2 is
The RESULT shows the value as 26 for CASE 1 as the date for the sequence number 45652 is and for the CASE 2 its obvious that DAY is 20.
SEQUENTIAL NUMBER OF DATE
The date in EXCEL is stored as a sequential number which starts from JAN 1 1900. i.e.
the date JAN 1 1900 will be stored as 1 in Excel.
*The same for the MAC is stored as JAN 1 1904.